Thursday, January 26, 2012

Simple Living

Lately, I've become more and more frustrated with our technology filled society. : ( . I watch movies such as Little Women and the Christy series and long for a time where technology is not the focus of our world. We fill our days with sitting around the television, playing video games, and texting on our cell phones.

A couple of years ago, we experienced an ice storm. We have had two now, but the first one in particular lasted a long time. We were out of electricity for 7 days. At first we didn't know what to do with ourselves. But we really began to enjoy the quiet time together. We talked and played board games huddled around the warm fire-good quality family time. Sometimes my sister and I pray for another so we can run away from the television and everything that distracts us from our responsibilities.
Sometimes I ask myself why I am so dumb to let the world's gadgets suck me in. Then I look around and remind myself how difficult this is in such a world as this. I know, not an excuse, but I'm just saying it doesn't help. I mean look, we have computers that we can fit in our purse, video games that can see our every move, cars that park themselves for us, what more do we need.  Before long, we'll become a completely robotic society.

I think, no I KNOW that all of this stuff is taking the place of time we could be spending in prayer or reading our bible. Trust me, I'm preaching to myself. Some people say I'm old fashioned to think the way I think, or dress the way I dress, or act the way I do,  but I don't care. It's our job as Christians to stand out for Him. That makes me proud to know that I'm trying to stand out the best I know how.  Afterall, I am the Vintage Maiden. haha. Some days I just want to to completely cut all ties to electricity.

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel welcome to comment on any of my posts. Please remember to keep them wholesome. :D