Saturday, February 15, 2014

Healthy Kick

So my sister and I have been on a little diet. We each have our own different weaknesses, so we've been working on holding each other accountable. Some of the things we've been cutting back on:
I hardly ever eat anything for breakfast, which I know is not healthy. So, in the morning, I've been getting up and fixing us each a smoothie for breakfast. Then sometimes we might eat a piece of sausage with it to give it some protein. Some ingredients I use for our smoothies are: brown cow yogurt, whatever frozen fruit we have (strawberries, pineapple, peaches, blueberries, etc.), honey (or even some flavored honey we have), sometimes a splash of milk, and some ice cubes. The other day, we had some organic spinach that I put in one to add a little extra protein. It didn't look pretty, but it tasted yummy.
This is one I tried with some peanut butter. It didn't look that pretty, but
the taste wasn't that bad. Next time, I wouldn't add quite as much peanut
butter as I did.


 

 I also made some healthy Banana Crunch Muffins the other day. A friend brought them to church and shared the recipe. They are super good. Here is the recipe. This is actually a revised version of the original. The original actually called for things such as twice the amount of sugar and butter instead of the oil.

Banana Crunch Muffins

3 Cups Flour (I use unbleached)
1 Cup Sugar (I use Evaporated Cane Juice)
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 Cup Milk
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Cup Melted Coconut Oil, cooled
3 Mashed Bananas
1 Cup Oats (I use Old Fashion Rolled)
1 Cup Chopped Nuts (I use pecans)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups. In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, powder, soda, and salt. Mix in the eggs, milk, vanilla, and oil. Fold in bananas, oats, and nuts. Fill muffin cups most the way full. Bake for 25 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

I will say that besides us loosing a few pounds, I definitely have felt better since watching what I eat more. We haven't taken it to the extreme, but just watching more our portions and ingredients has helped. We've also been trying to be better about our water in-take. She likes pop and I like sweet tea. We have made a commitment to have one only once a week.

Feel free to share your healthy recipes
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel welcome to comment on any of my posts. Please remember to keep them wholesome. :D